SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
August 2017 to September 2017
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
September Qtr 2017
June Qtr 2017 to September Qtr 2017
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate was relatively unchanged (0.0%) in September 2017 following a relatively unchanged estimate (0.0%) in August 2017 and a relatively unchanged estimate (0.0%) in July 2017.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate was relatively unchanged (0.0%) in September 2017. This follows a fall of 0.5% in August 2017 and a fall of 0.3% in July 2017.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.0% in September 2017 compared with September 2016.
- The following industries fell in trend terms in September 2017: Household goods retailing (-0.5%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (-0.1%) and Department stores (-0.1%). Food retailing rose (0.1%) and Other retailing (0.0%) and Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.0%) were relatively unchanged in trend terms in September 2017.
- The following states and territories fell in trend terms in September 2017: Victoria (-0.1%), Western Australia (-0.3%), South Australia (-0.1%), the Australian Capital Territory (-0.2%), the Northern Territory (-0.2%), and Tasmania (-0.1%). New South Wales rose (0.1%) and Queensland (0.0%) was relatively unchanged in trend terms.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose (0.6%) in the September quarter 2017.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|October 2017 ||5 December 2017|
|November 2017 ||11 January 2018|
|December 2017 ||6 February 2018|
|January 2018 ||6 March 2018|
|February 2018 ||4 April 2018|
|March 2018 ||8 May 2018|
The reference and base year for chain volume estimates is updated each September. A new base year, 2015-16, has been introduced into the chain volume estimates which has resulted in revisions to growth rates in subsequent periods. The chain volume estimates have also been re-referenced to 2015-16. This September, the chain volume estimates have also been revised as a result of changes to the price deflator weights and the mapping of weights to detailed price indexes. These changes have resulted in revisions to the chain volume estimates from the December quarter 2013 through to the June quarter 2017.
This issue includes updated quarterly measures of total retail turnover per capita. The September quarter includes an update to the Estimated Resident Population to incorporate the 2016 Census. The full time series is available from the Downloads tab of this publication on the ABS website.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.