OCTOBER KEY FIGURES
September 2016 to October 2016
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
OCTOBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
- The trend estimate rose 0.4% in October 2016. This follows a rise of 0.4% in September 2016 and a rise of 0.3% in August 2016.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.5% in October 2016. This follows a rise of 0.6% in September 2016 and a rise of 0.6% in August 2016.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 3.3% in October 2016 compared with October 2015.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in October 2016: Food retailing (0.4%), Household goods retailing (0.7%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.8%) and Other retailing (0.1%). Department stores (-0.2%) and Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (-0.1%) fell in trend terms in October 2016.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in October 2016: Queensland (0.7%), New South Wales (0.3%), Victoria (0.4%), South Australia (0.2%), the Australian Capital Territory (0.6%), Western Australia (0.1%), Tasmania (0.2%) and the Northern Territory (0.2%).
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|November 2016 ||10 January 2017|
|December 2016 ||6 February 2017|
|January 2017 ||6 March 2017|
|February 2017 ||3 April 2017|
|March 2017 ||9 May 2017|
|April 2017 ||1 June 2017|
This issue includes updated online retail turnover estimates for the October 2016 reference month and updated consumer sales estimates for the September 2016 quarter.
Original estimates for Other retailing n.e.c. have been revised as a result of an updated industry classification for survey respondents not previously within the scope of Retail Trade. To minimise the impact of revisions, and preserve the accuracy of monthly and quarterly movements, this change has been applied incrementally from October 2013. Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to revisions to original estimates and the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors. For information on seasonal adjustment and trend estimation please refer to the explanatory notes of this publication.
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms.