SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
Population at end
Sept qtr 2006
|PRELIMINARY DATA |
|New South Wales |
|South Australia |
|Western Australia |
|Northern Territory |
|Australian Capital Territory |
|(a) Includes Other Territories comprising Jervis Bay Territory, Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. |
Population growth, Quarterly
Population growth rate, Year ended current quarter
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
ESTIMATED RESIDENT POPULATION
- The preliminary estimated resident population (ERP) of Australia at 30 September 2006 was 20,674,400 persons, an increase of 269,600 persons (1.3%) since 30 September 2005 and 69,000 persons since 30 June 2006.
- The preliminary natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 September 2006 (131,800) was 3.0% (or 3,800 persons) higher than the natural increase recorded for the year ended 30 September 2005 (128,000).
- Preliminary net overseas migration for the year ended 30 September 2006 was 137,700 persons, an increase of 8.0% on the year ending 30 September 2005 (127,500).
POPULATION GROWTH RATES
- The Australian population grew 1.3% during the 12 months ended September 2006. Natural increase and net overseas migration contributed 46% and 54% respectively to this total population growth.
- All states and territories experienced positive population growth over the 12 months ended 30 September 2006. Western Australia recorded the largest percentage gain (2.0%) and Tasmania the smallest (0.6%).
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|December 2006 ||5 June 2007|
|March 2007 ||24 September 2007|
|June 2007 ||4 December 2007|
|September 2007 ||19 March 2008|
|December 2007 ||5 June 2008|
Estimated resident population (ERP) data in this publication are based on the 2001 Census of Population and Housing.
ERP DATA STATUS
At any point in time this publication contains final, revised and preliminary ERP data. The status of the ERP data included in this issue is as follows:
- Final - All ERP data up to and including June quarter 2001;
- Revised - ERP data from September quarter 2001 to June quarter 2005, inclusive;
- Preliminary - ERP data from September quarter 2005 to September quarter 2006, inclusive.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
Changes included in this issue are as follows:
- Population estimates for Capital City Statistical Divisions and selected Statistical Districts have been updated for 30 June 2006 (preliminary): see table 5; and
- Household projections for 2002 - 2006 have been included: see tables 17 and 18.
2006 CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING
The next issue of this publication will contain preliminary ERP for Australia, states and territories based on the results of the 2006 Census of Population and Housing. Previously published ERP from September quarter 2001 onwards will be revised to take account of a new census based population estimate. Final intercensal ERP will be released in the December quarter 2007 issue of this publication.
Improved method for estimating net overseas migration (NOM)
The ABS has developed an improved method for estimating NOM. Preliminary estimates for September and December quarters 2006 based on the new method will be available in the next issue of this publication. The key change is the introduction of a '12/16 month rule' for measuring a person's residency in Australia, replacing the current '12/12 month rule'. For further information see Information Paper: Improved Methods for Estimating Net Overseas Migration (cat. no. 3107.0.55.003) released on 10 February 2006, and Information Paper: Statistical Implications of Improved Methods for Estimating Net Overseas Migration, Australia 2006 (cat. no. 3107.0.55.005) to be released on 26 April 2007.
DATA NOT YET AVAILABLE
A new methodology has been proposed for annual household estimates and is currently being assessed. In the interim, tables 17, 18 and 19 have been replaced with household projections (now tables 17 and 18).
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Georgia Mitchell on Canberra (02) 6252 5640.