DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Sep Qtr 2017
Dec Qtr 2017
|Total managed funds industry |
3 279 929
3 389 552
|Consolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
2 663 170
2 745 619
|Cross invested assets between managed funds institutions |
|Unconsolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
3 211 596
3 309 459
|Life insurance corporations |
|Superannuation (pension) funds |
2 575 800
2 657 622
|Public offer (retail) unit trusts |
|All other managed funds institutions |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
TOTAL MANAGED FUNDS INDUSTRY
by type of institution
CONSOLIDATED ASSETS OF MANAGED FUNDS INSTITUTIONS
- At 31 December 2017, the managed funds industry had $3,389.6b funds under management, an increase of $109.6b (3%) on the September quarter 2017 figure of $3,279.9b.
- The main valuation effects that occurred during the December quarter 2017 were as follows: the S&P/ASX 200 increased 6.7%; the price of foreign shares, as represented by the MSCI World Index excluding Australia, increased 5.1%; and the A$ depreciated 0.5% against the US$.
CROSS INVESTED ASSETS
- At 31 December 2017, the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions were $2,745.6b, an increase of $82.4b (3%) on the September quarter 2017 figure of $2,663.2b.
- The asset types that increased were shares, $34.6b (7%); units in trusts, $29.7b (4%); overseas assets, $17.3b (4%); land, buildings and equipment, $5.8b (2%); bonds, etc., $5.5b (7%); and deposits, $3.4b (1%). These were partially offset by decreases in short term securities, $6.4b (7%); other financial assets, $4.7b (2%); derivatives, $1.8b (6%); loans and placements, $0.7b (2%); and other non-financial assets, $0.4b (3%).
- At 31 December 2017, there were $563.8b of assets cross invested between managed funds institutions.
- At 31 December 2017, the unconsolidated assets of superannuation (pension) funds increased $81.8b (3%); public offer (retail) unit trusts increased $13.1b (4%); life insurance corporations increased $3.8b (2%); common funds increased $0.3b (3%); and friendly societies increased $0.1b (2%). Cash management trusts decreased $1.3b (4%).
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2018 ||7 June 2018|
|June 2018 ||6 September 2018|
|September 2018 ||29 November 2018|
|December 2018 ||7 March 2019|
|CHANGES IN FORTHCOMING ISSUES|
The next release will include minor changes to some graphs. The changes to the graphs mentioned in the September 2017 release will be incorporated in the next release.
There have been revisions as a result of the receipt of revised administrative data, survey data and due to the inclusion of new survey respondents:
- Table 3 Life insurance corporations - revised back to the June quarter 2017.
- Table 4 Superannuation (pension) funds - revised back to the September quarter 2016.
- Table 5 Public offer (retail) unit trusts - revised back to the December quarter 2015.
- Table 6 Friendly Societies - no revisions.
- Table 7 Common funds - no revisions.
- Table 8 Cash management trusts - no revisions.
- Table 9 Resident Investment Managers - revised back to the September quarter 2016.
outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to the ABS.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.