5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2017-18 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 29/04/2019   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product



GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURE ON EDUCATION IN AUSTRALIA


This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2008-09 to 2017-18. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-primary, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses. In this release, school education collectively refers to pre-primary, primary and secondary education.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2012-13 to 2017-18.

Operating expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $4,258m (4.5%), from $95,359m in 2016-17 to $99,617m in 2017-18. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government was $37,257m, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $65,183m. Intra-sector transfers were $32,260m.

Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2017-18, $51,496m (51.7%) was spent on school education and $36,194m (36.3%) on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $49,925m accounted for 50.1% of total educational expenses with the remaining 49.9% being on non-employee expenses ($24,222m), depreciation ($4,275m), and transfer expenses ($21,195m).

Graph Image for PROPORTION OF GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION

Source(s): Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By Level of Government

2012-13
2013-14
2014-15
2015-16
2016-17
2017-18
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
32 703
33 291
34 294
34 655
36 148
37 257
State and local governments
53 600
55 576
57 300
59 501
62 266
65 183
Control not further defined (a)
22 885
23 584
25 575
26 636
28 008
29 437
Less: Intra-sector transfers
25 475
26 670
28 659
29 539
31 063
32 260
All levels of government
83 712
85 781
88 510
91 253
95 359
99 617

(a) The Control not further defined (n.f.d) sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By Purpose, All Levels of Government

2012-13
2013-14
2014-15
2014-15
2016-17
2017-18
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

School education
41 836
43 080
44 645
46 748
48 899
51 496
Tertiary education
29 954
30 542
32 005
33 028
34 540
36 194
Other education
11 922
12 159
11 860
11 477
11 920
11 927
Total by purpose
83 712
85 781
88 510
91 253
95 359
99 617


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, By Economic Transaction, All Levels of Government

2012-13
2013-14
2014-15
2014-15
2016-17
2017-18
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
41 480
42 309
43 762
45 696
47 732
49 925
Non-employee expenses
20 175
20 864
21 721
21 944
23 034
24 222
Depreciation
3 541
3 726
3 854
4 020
4 185
4 275
Current transfer expenses
18 119
18 447
18 954
19 354
20 152
20 951
Capital transfer expenses
398
436
219
240
257
244
Total by economic transactions
83 712
85 781
88 510
91 253
95 359
99 617





INQUIRIES

For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or email <client.services@abs.gov.au>. The ABS Privacy Policy outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to us.