ABOUT THIS ISSUE
- The total number of exporters of goods and services was 45,056 in 2012-13, a small increase from 2011-12 (44,751).
- There was an increase in the number service exporters, up 386 (13%) to 3,323. The number of goods exporters decreased slightly, by 35 to 43,045.
- The increase in the number of service exporters was largely due to a rise in the number of exporters with exports valued at 'Less than $1m', up 291 (14%) to 2,367.
- The total value of goods exports decreased by $17b (6%). By industry, the main contributor is 'Mining'. 'Mining' has decreased by $11,037m (-8%). 'Other' industry also reduced exports of goods by $7,196m (-18%), 'Manufacturing' reduced by $1,573m (-4%), 'Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing' reduced by $860m (-11%). The only industry with a large increase in exports is 'Wholesale Trade', up by $3,915m (14%).
- The number of 'Medium' goods exporters decreased by 109 (1%) while the number of 'Small' goods exporters increased by 71 (0.4%) and the number of 'Large' goods exporters increased by 3.
- The movement in the number of service exporters has been varied across the categories. The largest decreases being in 'Financial services' down 325 (72%) and 'Construction services' down 245 (64%). The largest increases being in 'Personal, cultural and recreational services' up 254 (47%), 'Charges for the use of intellectual property n.i.e.' up 97 (10%) and 'Other business services' up 192 (10%).
This publication presents an analysis of the characteristics and international trading activities of Australian exporters in 2012-13. The information is compiled as a by-product of producing regular monthly and quarterly statistics on Australia's merchandise trade and international trade in services. Table 1 presents an overview covering exporters of both goods and services. Tables 2 to 9, and 11 present more detailed information on goods exporters. Table 10 presents additional information on services exporters. These tables are available for free from the 'Downloads' tab of this publication on the ABS website.
outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to us.