SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
n.p.: not available for publication but included in totals where applicable, unless otherwise indicated
Jun Qtr 2019
Sep Qtr 2019
|Total managed funds industry |
3 786 255
3 874 033
|Consolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
3 017 792
3 092 038
|Cross invested assets between managed funds institutions |
|Unconsolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
3 570 215
3 658 632
|Life insurance corporations |
|Superannuation (pension) funds |
2 914 726
2 995 804
|Public offer (retail) unit trusts |
|All other managed funds institutions |
SEPTEMBER KEY POINTS
TOTAL MANAGED FUNDS INDUSTRY
CONSOLIDATED ASSETS OF MANAGED FUNDS INSTITUTIONS
- At 30 September 2019, the managed funds industry had $3,874.0b funds under management, an increase of $87.8b (2.3%) on the June quarter 2019 figure of $3,786.3b.
- The main valuation effects that occurred during the September quarter 2019 were as follows: the S&P/ASX 200 increased 1.1%; the price of foreign shares, as represented by the MSCI World Index excluding Australia, increased 0.1%; and the A$ depreciated 3.8% against the US$.
CROSS INVESTED ASSETS
- At 30 September 2019, the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions were $3,092.0b, an increase of $74.2b (2.5%) on the June quarter 2019 figure of $3,017.8b.
- The asset types that increased were overseas assets, $30.4b (5.3%); units in trusts, $17.7b (2.1%); shares, $13.2b (2.5%); deposits, $6.3b (2.4%); land, buildings and equipment, $6.3b (2.1%); bonds, etc., $4.7b (4.2%); loans and placements, $1.6b (3.8%); derivatives, $1.3b (3.8%); other non-financial assets, $0.3b (0.8%). These were partially offset by decreases in short term securities, $7.2b (8.3%); other financial assets, $0.3b (0.1%).
- At 30 September 2019, there were $566.6b of assets cross invested between managed funds institutions.
- At 30 September 2019, the unconsolidated assets of superannuation (pension) funds increased $81.1b (2.8%), public offer (retail) unit trusts increased $8.5b (2.2%), cash management trusts increased $0.1b (0.3%) and friendly societies increased $0.1b (1.0%).
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|December 2019 ||5 March 2020|
|March 2020 ||4 June 2020|
|June 2020 ||3 September 2020|
|September 2020 ||10 December 2020|
- Table 3 Life insurance corporations - revised back to the June quarter 2019.
- Table 4 Superannuation (pension) funds - revised back to the December quarter 1999.
- Table 5 Public offer (retail) unit trusts - revised back to the December quarter 2007.
- Table 6 Friendly Societies - no revisions.
- Table 7 Common funds - no revisions.
- Table 8 Cash management trusts - the June quarter 2009 has been revised.
- Table 9 Resident Investment Managers - revised back to the September quarter 2005.
outlines how the ABS will handle any personal information that you provide to the ABS.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.