DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
November 2018 to December 2018
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
December Qtr 2018
September Qtr 2018 to December Qtr 2018
|Turnover in volume terms |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
in volume terms -
- The trend estimate rose 0.2% in December 2018. This follows a rise of 0.2% in November 2018 and a rise of 0.2% in October 2018.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate fell 0.4% in December 2018. This follows a rise of 0.5% in November 2018 and a rise of 0.3% in October 2018.
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 3.2% in December 2018 compared with December 2017.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in December 2018: Food retailing (0.2%), Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (0.3%), Other retailing (0.1%), Cafes restaurants and takeaway food services (0.1%), and Department stores (0.1%). Household goods retailing was relatively unchanged (0.0%).
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in December 2018: Queensland (0.5%), Victoria (0.2%), Western Australia (0.3%), the Australian Capital Territory (0.3%), South Australia (0.1%), and Tasmania (0.1%). New South Wales (-0.1%), and the Northern Territory (-0.4%) both fell in trend terms in December 2018.
- In volume terms, the trend estimate for Australian turnover rose 0.3% in the December quarter 2018.
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|January 2019 ||7 March 2019|
|February 2019 ||3 April 2019|
|March 2019 ||7 May 2019|
|April 2019 ||4 June 2019|
|May 2019 ||4 July 2019|
|June 2019 ||2 August 2019|
There are no revisions to the original estimates. A change was made to price deflators used to derive chain volume measures for the Supermarket and grocery stores series and Food retailing series. A revision was also made to the Other Retailing price deflator. These changes will result in revisions to published quarterly chain volume measures and the related implicit price deflator series, but will not impact the Total (industry) series. Note the changes will not impact related publications, including Australian National Accounts: National Income, Expenditure and Product (cat. no. 5206.0).
TIME SERIES DATA
Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication:
- Monthly retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sectors, by six industry groups and also by state in original terms
- Monthly retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail chain volume measures by six industry groups and also by state in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly retail turnover per capita in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Quarterly sales to households by selected service industries in original terms
- Quarterly measures of total retail turnover per capita.