|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
QUALITY DECLARATION - SUMMARY
The businesses that contribute to the statistics in this publication are classified:
The scope of the collection included all operating private and public trading sector businesses classified to ANZSIC 2006 Division B (Mining). The scope excluded activity undertaken by private individuals for their own use and general government organisations.
Although the period covered by the estimates was, in general, the twelve months ended 30 June, some businesses were unable to supply information on this basis. In such cases an accounting period for which data could be provided was used for data other than employment.
The collection is conducted annually with estimates generally available within twelve months of the reference period to which they relate. For the 2011–12 reference period, questionnaires were despatched by ABS in August 2012 and Business Activity Statement data were received from the ATO in November 2012. The estimates are scheduled for release in June 2013, twelve months after the end of the reference period.
The ABS aims to produce high quality data from its industry collections while minimising the reporting burden on businesses. To achieve this, extensive effort is put into survey and questionnaire design, collection procedures and processing. The 2011–12 survey used generalised regression estimation. Generalised regression estimation is a form of ratio estimation which makes use of auxiliary data items which are strongly correlated with key data items directly collected by the ABS from businesses. The auxiliary variables used in this survey were turnover and wages from data sourced from the ATO. Use of this methodology allowed high quality statistics to be produced from a small, direct collect sample of 928 businesses classified to the Mining industry.
Non-sampling error arises from inaccuracies in collecting, recording and processing the data. Every effort was made to minimise reporting error, by the careful design of questionnaires, intensive training of survey analysts and efficient data processing procedures. Non-sampling error also occurs when information cannot be obtained from all businesses selected in the survey. For the 2011–12 survey of the Mining Operations, there was an 86.6% response rate from all businesses that were surveyed and found to be operating during the reference period. Data were imputed for the remaining 13.4% of operating businesses. This imputation contributed 3.0% to the estimate of total income for the Mining industry.
Mining Operations, Australia (cat. no. 8415.0) has been reinstated for the reference year 2011-12. It was last published in 2008 with respect to the 2006-07 reference year. The majority of data items for the intervening years can be sourced from Australian Industry (cat. no. 8155.0). Finer level estimates for mining commodities, for 2001-02 to 2011-12, will be available as a data cube in late 2013. The mining commodities data cube was previously published as part of Australian Industry, 2010-11 (cat. no. 8155.0).
Estimates released in Mining Operations, Australia, 2011–12 are available as original series only, and are neither seasonally nor trend adjusted.
Although financial estimates in this release relate to the full twelve months, employment estimates relate to the last pay period ending in June of the given year.
Further information about terminology and other technical aspects associated with these statistics can be found in the publication Mining Operations, Australia, 2011-12 (cat. no. 8415.0), which contains detailed Explanatory Notes, a Technical Note on Estimation methodology, a Technical Note on Data quality and a Glossary.
Data from the 2011–12 Mining Operations Survey are available free of charge on the ABS website.
These documents will be presented in a new window.