Your views about the 2006 Census products
For the 2006 Census a range of new web-based products are being developed by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Consultation sessions have been integral to this process, offering clients the chance to have their say about the proposed release strategy and the 2006 Census products.
Two surveys and a series of face-to-face sessions have been conducted annually in every state and territory across Australia since the 2001 Census. This process has been valuable in guiding the development of ABS products and assisting us to coordinate an agenda for further information sessions planned with clients late in 2006.
Findings from the latest survey and feedback sessions include:
This information has guided the development of the 2006 Census product range, ensuring they will be relevant and reflective of the needs of our users.
- The Basic Community Profile was most commonly used out of the profiles available in 2001.
- The largest proportion of respondents reported using Census data for general research purposes.
- Just over half of respondents indicated that they used Census data for planning purposes.
- The three most commonly used geographies were Local Government Area, Statistical Local Area and Collection District.
- A larger proportion of respondents indicated support for the change to release of data by usual residence firstly, then by place of enumeration.
- There was an overwhelming support for the provision of Census products in Excel format.