JANUARY KEY FIGURES
Dec 2011 to Jan 2012
|Turnover at current prices |
|Seasonally Adjusted |
JANUARY KEY POINTS
Current Prices -
- The trend estimate rose 0.1% in January 2012. This follows a rise of 0.1% in December 2011 and a rise of 0.2% in November 2011.
- The seasonally adjusted estimate rose 0.3% in January 2012. This follows a fall of 0.1% in December 2011 and a relatively unchanged November 2011 (0.0%).
- In trend terms, Australian turnover rose 2.7% in January 2012 compared with January 2011.
- The following industries rose in trend terms in January 2012: Clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (1.3%), Cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (0.4%) and Department stores (0.1%). Food retailing (0.0%) was relatively unchanged. Household goods retailing (-0.2%) and Other retailing (-0.3%) fell in trend terms in January 2012.
- The following states and territories rose in trend terms in January 2012: Western Australia (0.5%), Victoria (0.1%), Queensland (0.1%) and the Australian Capital Territory (0.3%). The Northern Territory (0.0%) was relatively unchanged. New South Wales (-0.1%), South Australia (-0.2%) and Tasmania (-0.2%) fell in trend terms in January 2012.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|February 2012 ||3 April 2012|
|March 2012 ||7 May 2012|
|April 2012 ||30 May 2012|
|May 2012 ||4 July 2012|
|June 2012 ||2 August 2012|
|July 2012 ||3 September 2012|
There are no changes in this issue.
Original estimates for Food retailing have been revised in December 2011 as a result of updated information received from survey respondents.
Revisions to seasonally adjusted estimates are due to revisions to original estimates as well as the concurrent methodology for deriving seasonal factors.
TIME SERIES DATA
- Data available from the Downloads tab of this issue on the ABS website include longer time series of tables in this publication, the quarterly chain volume measures and the following additional current price monthly series:
- Retail turnover by state and 15 industry subgroups in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by six industry groups in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated and sample sector, by state in original terms
- Retail turnover completely enumerated sector, total level in trend, seasonally adjusted and original terms.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Paul Slater on Sydney (02) 9268 4581.