DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Sep Qtr 2011
Dec Qtr 2011
|Total managed funds industry |
1 777 458
1 782 060
|Consolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
1 401 512
1 410 602
|Cross invested assets between managed funds institutions |
|Unconsolidated assets total managed funds institutions |
1 779 579
1 786 293
|Life insurance corporations |
|Superannuation (pension) funds |
1 241 675
1 257 557
|Public offer (retail) unit trusts |
|All other managed funds institutions |
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
TOTAL MANAGED FUNDS INDUSTRY
by type of institution
CONSOLIDATED ASSETS OF MANAGED FUNDS INSTITUTIONS
- As at 31 December 2011 the managed funds industry had $1782.1b funds under management, an increase of $4.6b (0%) on the September quarter 2011 figure of $1,777.5b. This was driven by the increase of $9.1b in consolidated assets of managed funds institutions.
- The main valuation effects that occurred during the December quarter 2011 were as follows: the S&P/ASX 200 increased 1.2%, the price of foreign shares (represented by the MSCI World Index) increased 7.1% and the A$ appreciated 3.8% against the US$.
CROSS INVESTED ASSETS
- As at 31 December 2011 the consolidated assets of managed funds institutions was $1,410.6b, an increase of $9.1b (1%) on the September quarter 2011 figure of $1,401.5b.
- The asset types to increase during the quarter were shares, $4.1b (1%); land, buildings and equipment, $2.4b (1%); overseas assets, $2.3b (1%); and deposits, $1.8b (1%). These were partially offset by decreases in bonds, etc., $1.2b (2%); and other non-financial assets, $0.8b (4%). Short term securities; loans and placements; units in trusts; and other financial assets were flat.
- As at 31 December 2011 there were $375.7b of assets cross invested between managed funds institutions.
- As at 31 December 2011 the unconsolidated assets of superannuation (pension) funds increased by $15.9b (1%); public offer (retail) trusts decreased by $9.1b (3%); life insurance corporations decreased by $0.4b (0%); cash management trusts increased by $0.4b (2%); common funds decreased by $0.1b (1%) and friendly societies remained virtually the same.
|ISSUE (QUARTER) ||Release Date|
|March 2012 ||31 May 2012|
|June 2012 ||30 August 2012|
|September 2012 ||29 November 2012|
|December 2012 ||28 February 2013|
|March 2013 ||30 May 2013|
There have been revisions in some series as a result of the receipt of revised administrative data and revised survey data. Superannuation and investment manager data have been revised back to September quarter 2005; Public unit trust data has been revised back to June quarter 2007; Common fund data has been revised back to June quarter 2011; and friendly society and life insurance corporations data have been revised for the September quarter 2011.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Joseph Madaffari on Canberra (02) 6252 5842.