EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- In 2009, there were 356,000 primary and secondary students attending school full-time in WA, 6,000 more than in 2008. Of these school students, two-thirds (66%) were attending government schools, a proportion that has steadily declined over the past decade, from 72% in 1999.
Full-time Students Attending Government Schools
- The apparent retention rate from Year 7/8 to Year 12 for all students in WA rose to 75% in 2009. This rate had been generally declining in WA in recent years, falling to a low of 70% in 2007, before rising to almost 74% in 2008. These recent increases have resulted in the Year 7/8 to Year 12 apparent retention rate in WA moving closer to the national rate of 76% in 2009.
Year 7/8 to Year 12 Apparent Retention Rate
- In 2009, the Year 7/8 to Year 12 apparent retention rate for males rose marginally, from 68% to 69%, while for females it rose from just under 80% to 81%.
- For Indigenous students in WA, the apparent retention rate from Year 7/8 to Year 12 was 38% in 2009, almost half the rate for all students in WA (75%). However, the apparent retention rate for Indigenous students has almost doubled since 1999 (20%).
- Almost 55% of all 15-24 year olds in WA were participating in education in 2009, increasing from 52% in 2008. Nationally, 58% of this age group were participating in education in 2009.
- In 2009, 14% of persons in WA aged 15-19 years were not fully engaged in education and/or employment. While this represented an increase from 13% in 2008, it was below the national rate of 15%. Of all states and territories, Victoria and the ACT were the only jurisdictions to record lower rates than WA in 2009.
- In 2009, 62% aged 25-64 years in WA had obtained a non-school educational qualification, increasing from 59% in 2008. Of these, almost one quarter (25%) had obtained a Bachelor degree or above while 38% had an Advanced diploma or lower qualification.
The link below provides time series data (1999 to 2009) on a Summary of Education and Training statistics from Australian Social Trends, Data Cube - Education and training - National and state summary tables
(cat. no. 4102.0).