|30 June 2016|
Embargo: 11.30 am (Canberra time)
Your Region, Your Data
At 57.4 years young, the residents of Victor Harbor (SA) have the highest median age of any Australian region for 2014, according to data released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
In 2012-13, the median employee income in Victor Harbor was $36,683 and the median sale price for houses in 2013 was $330,000. Between 2001 and 2014, there were around 3,055 small-scale solar panel systems installed in this region.
These are just some of the things you can discover about your region through the National Regional Profile dataset. It draws on over 300 data items to provide information for more than 3,200 regions across Australia.
"We are always on the lookout for datasets with a regional focus of broad interest to include in the product," said Lisa Conolly, Director of the ABS Regional Statistics National Centre.
"A few of the new additions for this release are residential property prices, solar installations, and patents and trademarks."
Regional data are presented for five years (2010-14) to help local communities track changes and progress over time.
ABS' Data by Region
mapping tool shows this data by allowing users to visually select or type in a region of interest and retrieve its socio-economic and environmental data. Data by Region can be accessed by going to https://www.abs.gov.au/databyregion
Further state/territory based data are provided below.
- Regions in this media release refer to Local Government Areas (LGAs), except for the ACT with Statistical Area Level 2 regions.
- If quoting statistics from Data by Region, please attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or ABS) as the source.
- For media enquiries and interviews, contact the ABS Communications Section on 1300 175 070 (8.30am-5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our media release notification service to notify you of ABS media releases or publications upon their release.
New South Wales
- In 2013, the median sale price for houses in Mosman and Woollahra was $2.2 million, among the highest in the country.
- Waverley had the highest population density in 2014, both within the state and nationally, at 7,765 people per square kilometre. The next highest was Sydney with 7,421 people per square kilometre.
- Fairfield had the highest number of carer payment recipients in Australia in 2014 (8,467 people).
- Wyndham had one of the highest net regional migration gains in Australia in 2013-14. with 5,017 more people arriving than departing.
- Within the state of Victoria, Port Phillip had the highest population density in 2014 at 5,064 people per square kilometre.
- The median age of usual residents in Queenscliffe was 55.3 years in 2014, among the highest nationally.
- Solar panel installations abound in the sunshine state. Brisbane led the way for Australia with an estimated 85,523 small-scale solar panel systems installed between 2001 and 2014. Moreton Bay was the next highest followed by Gold Coast with 47,770 installations and 44,658 installations respectively.
- Moreton Bay had the highest net regional migration gains in Australia 2013-14, with 5,050 more people moving into this region than moving out.
- Residents of Yarrabah were among the youngest nationally with a median age of 22.9 years in 2014.
- In 2014, Victor Harbor had the highest median age of usual residents in the country, at 57.4 years. This region also had the highest proportion of people aged 85 years and over (5.6 per cent).
- Cleve had a fertility rate of 4.8 per cent in 2014, which was among the highest fertility rates nationally.
- Within South Australia, the region with the highest value of total building in 2013-14 was Adelaide with $616 million, followed by Port Adelaide Enfield with $361 million.
- In 2013, the highest median sale price for houses was in Peppermint Grove at $3.6 million, the highest in the country.
- Vincent had the highest population density in WA in 2014 at 3,277 people per square kilometre.
- In 2014, Corrigin had the highest fertility rate in Australia (4.9 per cent).
- The median age of usual residents in Flinders was 55.2 years in 2014, among the highest nationally.
- Brighton had the highest median own unincorporated business income in Tasmania ($11,516) in 2012-13.
- 85.1 per cent of West Coast was classified as a Protected Land Area. Also prominent in this regard were Derwent Valley (77.8 per cent) and Huon Valley (72.8 per cent).
Australian Capital Territory
- In 2014, residents of West Daly were the youngest in Australia, with a median age of 22.5 years. This region also had the highest proportion of people aged 0-14 years in the country (36.6 per cent).
- Palmerston had the highest median employee income in the Northern Territory in 2012-13 ($60,114).
- In 2013, Litchfield had the highest median sale price for houses in the Northern Territory ($629,000).
- Residents of Acton were the youngest in the ACT - with a median age of 23 years - while those of Mitchell were the oldest with a median age of 60.5 years.
- In 2012-13, Kingston - Barton had the highest median employee income in the ACT ($74,054) followed by Garran ($73,394) and Aranda ($72,042).
- Forrest had the highest median sale price for houses in the ACT in 2013 ($1.5 million).
Find the data you want for your region of interest by clicking https://www.abs.gov.au/databyregion