BENEFITS OF TRANSFORMATION
By maximising the use of multiple data sources, statistical methods and flexible access to data, we aim to:
- produce higher value statistics (i.e. timely, relevant, accurate, coherent, interpretable and accessible) that meet current and emerging policy and research requirements
- provide new and enhanced options for creating responsive and cost effective statistical solutions (data integration, modelling, increase use of administrative and transactional data)
- achieve better measurement of outcomes for industry and population groups of interest, including key life cycle transitions and pathways.
By enhancing our survey program, we aim to:
- meet increasing information requirements at lower cost
- provide greater opportunity for linkage between Census data, business and household survey data and administrative datasets, to enrich the range of variables, enable longitudinal analysis, and enable modelling of data for small areas and populations
- provide more frequent statistics or regional estimates for population groups or industries
- achieve better measurement of outcomes for regional Australia, including the diversity and sustainability of regional economies
- improve collection methods to reduce respondent burden (e.g. internet, machine to machine, report once to government)
- utilise alternative data sources (e.g. administrative, transactional, earth observations) to replace direct collection methods where possible, while ensuring the continued quality of our statistics.
By reprioritising our statistical program to meet Australia’s emerging information requirements, we aim to:
- increase stakeholder engagement in ABS priority setting to ensure visible and continued close alignment of the ABS work program, products and services with stakeholder priority needs
- work with stakeholders to identify and acquire data sources.
The ABS will continue to work closely with our partners and stakeholders to understand their information requirements and develop appropriate statistical solutions to meet these needs.