2412-11 Primary School Teacher
Teaches a range of subjects within a prescribed curriculum to primary school students and promotes students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- teaches literacy, numeracy, social science, creative expression and physical education skills to primary school students
- develops students' interests, abilities and coordination by way of creative activities
- presents subject matter using a range of teaching techniques and materials
- guides discussions and supervises work in class
- tests and evaluates students for individual progress in written and oral work
- encourages personal development by assisting students to use and develop their capabilities
- discusses students' progress and social, behavioural and learning problems with parents and school counsellors
- maintains attendance records and school discipline
- participates in staff meetings, educational conferences and workshops
- performs extra-curricular tasks such as assisting with sport, school concerts, excursions and special interest programs
- supervises student teachers on placement