Studies the physics and dynamics of the atmosphere to increase understanding of weather and climate, and to forecast changes in the weather.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- analyses and interprets satellite photographs, remote sensing and other observational data concerning atmospheric phenomena
- prepares weather forecasts for dissemination to the public and specific users
- prepares warnings relating to atmospheric phenomena such as cyclones, storms or other hazards to life and property
- investigates methods of analysis and prognosis of atmospheric conditions
- studies climate data and uses statistical methods to determine and interpret climatic trends and predict changes
- undertakes research into the behaviour of the atmosphere
- reviews observational networks and the dissemination of information
- may supervise the work of technical officers and meteorological observers
- may participate in the development of computer modelling programs