Finishes, polishes or refinishes furniture.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- sands and smooths furniture surfaces
- mixes stains by stirring in base colours to match colour or shade and applies to furniture
- applies varnish, shellac, lacquer or paint to surfaces
- polishes and waxes finished surfaces
- dismantles furniture, masks areas not being finished and removes accessories such as knobs and hinges to prepare articles for refinishing
- removes old finishes by stripping with steel wool or glasspaper, or by applying solvents or paint strippers and removing softened finishes by scraping
- removes excess solvent and indentations
- may restore wood surfaces to natural colour using acid and neutralisers
- may hand polish and restore antique furniture