4999-17 Piano Tuner
Tunes and repairs pianos and pianolas.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- tests piano components using specialised hand tools, gauges and electronic equipment
- detaches mechanisms and replaces faulty parts, strings, tuning pins and joint connections
- examines, repairs and replaces wooden parts such as bridges and soundboards
- levels keys by inserting paper and felt shims
- aligns hammers and turn-screws to adjust striking action of keys
- places strips between strings to mute them
- turns tuning pins, strikes notes and compares pitch with those of tuning forks
- tunes remaining strings by aural comparison with tuned strings
- may perform complete restoration projects
- may tune and repair organs