Transcribes text or recorded verbal matter from one language into another.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
- studies original texts or recorded verbal matter to comprehend subject matter and converts them into another language to convey the original meanings
- consults dictionaries and other reference sources to determine accurate meanings of terms
- ensures that phraseology and terminology of legal, technical or scientific texts are correctly rendered
- ensures material is translated into the other language in the appropriate register and style and that it will read as an original piece rather than as a translation
- may specialise in particular languages, or in particular types of subject matter
- may revise translations to improve them