UNIT GROUP 4613 WOOL, HIDE AND SKIN CLASSERS
WOOL, HIDE AND SKIN CLASSERS inspect and grade wool, skins, hides or tanned leather.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- classifying wool and advising on matters pertaining to the clip and its preparation for sale
- instructing and supervising shearing shed hands concerned with piece picking, picking up the fleeces, woolrolling and other aspects of wool handling
- inspecting and testing green skins or hides, for size, cleanliness, colour, markings and quality, and sorting into lots for fellmongering, drying, salting or tanning
- inspecting and sorting dried or salted skins for baling or tanning, and wet blue leather hides or tanned skins for thickness, size and quality
- maintaining, or overseeing the recording of details of the quantity and quality of hides, or the stations' clip in shed wool books