3999-13 Museum or Art Gallery Technician
Prepares specimens, artefacts and artworks for collections, and arranges and constructs gallery exhibits.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- mounts and prepares objects for display
- designs and arranges exhibit furnishings, display cases and display areas
- assists in setting up lighting and display equipment
- receives, ships, packs and unpacks exhibits
- constructs protective containers for travelling exhibits
- maintains museum and gallery files
- supervises and assists other workers cleaning, cataloguing, labelling and storing specimens
- may construct models and make castings or moulds of artefacts and objects for display purposes
- may clean rock matrix from fossil specimens, mould and restore skeletal parts, construct skeletal mounts, reassemble fragmented specimens and fabricate substitute pieces