Designs, builds, fits and repairs splints, braces, callipers and related appliances to restore functions or compensate for muscular or skeletal disabilities.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- works with doctors and therapists in the care and treatment of patients
- consults, designs and selects materials and components, taking casts and measurements, making modifications, and performing fittings
- evaluates the function and appearance of the device on the patient and advises patients on its use
- may examines patient needs and assist physicians in pre-surgical planning and design for the construction of devices
- may supervise the functions of support personnel and laboratory or workshop activities