Plans, directs, coordinates and performs farming, greenhouse and market garden operations to grow vegetables.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans and manages the production and marketing of vegetable crops from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- selects and plants seeds and seedlings in fields using farm machinery and garden tools
- controls temperature, light and humidity in greenhouses to maintain optimal growing conditions
- directs and oversees general farming activities such as fertilising, pest and weed control
- maintains farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- organises the sale, purchase and transportation of produce
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities, monitors market activity and plans crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors