UNIT GROUP 4983 JEWELLERS AND RELATED TRADESPERSONS
JEWELLERS AND RELATED TRADESPERSONS make and repair jewellery such as rings, brooches, chains and bracelets, and cut, shape and polish rough gemstones to produce fashion or industrial jewels.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- examining designs and specifications for jewellery
- shaping moulded metal by cutting, filing, beating, turning and bending, using specialised hand and power tools
- securing precious stones in retaining prongs or ridges and smoothing and checking final settings
- repairing jewellery by soldering, replacing or rebuilding worn and broken parts
- appraising the quality and value of jewellery
- cutting or dividing stones to approximate final shape, using precision hand and power tools and jigs
- securing stones and shapes, cutting angles, smoothing and polishing