UNIT GROUP 7994 SEAFARERS AND FISHING HANDS
SEAFARERS AND FISHING HANDS maintain ships' equipment and structures, and catch fish, crustaceans and molluscs.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience.
- handling ropes and wires, and operating mooring equipment, when berthing and unberthing
- standing lookout watches at sea and adjusting the ships' course as directed
- assisting with cargo operations using on-board equipment and stowing or securing cargo
- patrolling the ship to ensure safety of the vessel, cargo and passengers
- attaching gear and fastening towing cables to nets
- casting or lowering nets, pots, lines or traps into water
- preparing lines, attaching running gear and bait, and setting lines into position
- hauling in fishing gear and removing fish and other marine life