Determines risk, offers odds and accepts bets on the outcome of racing and other events.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- attends races or other events to provide betting services
- obtains information on the form of competitors by research, attending trials, viewing films or liaising with contacts
- offers and varies odds on competitors after considering the type of event, handicaps, weather conditions and odds offered by other bookmakers
- writes or operates computer equipment to produce tickets detailing the subject of bets, odds given and payout details
- may operate an on-course telephone betting service
- may place lay off bets with other bookmakers to offset potential losses
- may supervise Bookmaker's Clerks