Compounds and dispenses prescribed pharmaceuticals in retail outlets and sells non-prescription medicines and related goods.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and a one year traineeship. Registration or licensing is required.
- prepares or supervises the preparation of liquid medicines, ointments, powders, tablets and other medications
- checks prescriptions for correct dosage and for drug interactions and incompatibilities
- compounds prescribed medicines, and packages and labels them
- stores and preserves vaccines, serums and other drugs subject to deterioration
- dispenses medical and surgical products as prescribed
- records prescriptions dispensed, and the issue of poisons, narcotics and other restricted drugs
- provides advice and information on the use and effects of medications
- sells non-prescription drugs, sick-room supplies, toiletries, cosmetics and related commercial products