2127-15 Materials Engineer
Plans and directs the engineering and commercial application of materials, manufacturing processes, products and related technologies.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- reviews plans for new products and submits material selection recommendations in accordance with design specifications and factors such as strength, weight and cost
- plans and implements laboratory operations, to develop material and fabrication procedures for new materials, to fulfil product cost and performance standards
- prepares reports of materials studied
- confers with producers of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, cements and elastomers during the investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications
- reviews product failure data and interprets laboratory tests, to establish or reject possible cause and advises on ways to overcome any problem
- may conduct scientific studies for understanding, characterising and developing materials
- may guide technical staff engaged in developing materials for specific use in proposed products or devices