UNIT GROUP 3111 MEDICAL TECHNICAL OFFICERS
MEDICAL TECHNICAL OFFICERS perform or assist with laboratory tests and operate diagnostic and monitoring equipment used in support of health professionals.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- undertaking or assisting with medical analytical procedures
- observing and interpreting the morphological features of peripheral blood smears in consultation with medical scientists
- preparing and staining slides for microscopic examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids
- operating equipment used in diagnosing disorders of hearing, heart, kidneys, nervous system or in anaesthesia
- may supervise laboratory staff