7294-11 Wood Processing Machine Operator
Operates sawing and other machines to make logs or cut them into poles or timber pieces; and operates machinery such as rollers and presses to make plywood, particleboard, solid laminate or similar timber products.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience.
- studies work orders to determine requirements
- secures timber into place and sets saw to produce specified sizes of plank or board to be cut
- starts machines and feeds stock onto cutting saws or operates automatic feed mechanisms
- raises or lowers saws to trim boards and remove defects such as rot and splits
- controls lathes and sluing machinery to produce veneers and laminates veneer using glue
- verifies dimensions of stock cut and accuracy of cuts
- checks saws and other equipment for safety, sharpness and correct functioning
- replaces worn or defective saw blades and lubricates machines
- may operate machines to remove bark, knots and dirt from logs and shape logs to round or smooth taper shapes
Cant Gang Sawyer
Plywood and Veneer Repairer
Sawmill Moulder Operator
Veneer Production Machine Operator