UNIT GROUP 3112 SCIENCE TECHNICAL OFFICERS
SCIENCE TECHNICAL OFFICERS perform technical support functions to assist with research, design and production in chemistry, earth sciences, life sciences, agriculture and physical sciences.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- making observations and measurements, recording and plotting information, collecting and analysing samples and maintaining collections and equipment
- collecting, collating and analysing information from geological field surveys, seismic surveys, meteorological observations and other earth science surveys
- examining the topographical, physical and soil characteristics of farmland to determine its most effective utilisation and identify nutrient deficiencies, and providing advice in areas of agriculture such as research, production, servicing and marketing
- studying chemical and physical problems and developing solutions, controlling experimental procedures, testing samples and monitoring usage for quality and quantity control of laboratory supplies
- performing tests, experiments and analyses, preparing, plotting and graphing data, performing routine mathematical calculations, and computations of measurements