Plans, organises and administers the operations of establishments manufacturing goods.
The entry requirement for this occupation is usually a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- identifies business opportunities, devises new manufacturing processes and determines products to be manufactured
- develops a business plan and implements operating, marketing, personnel and pricing procedures
- researches and implements regulatory and statutory requirements affecting manufacturing operations and the environment
- manages the activities of production, warehouse, distribution and other operating units
- maintains quality control systems for manufacturing, waste disposal, delivery and other procedures
- oversees the co-ordination of orders for raw materials, supplies and equipment and arranges packaging, delivery and wholesaling of products
- oversees the co-ordination of after-sales service
- oversees the provision of quotes for the manufacture of specialised goods and arranges contracts with customers
- may devise and oversee the implementation of production run schedules