2491-15 Dance Teacher (Private)
Teaches students in the practice, theory and performance of dance, in private training establishments.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- determines students' interests, capabilities and potential for training through interview and observation
- plans programs of study for individual students and groups
- explains and demonstrates techniques and methods of regulating movements of body and feet to musical and rhythmic accompaniment
- trains students in the execution of dance steps and routines
- develops skills of musical interpretation and performance artistry
- assesses competence and provides feedback
- teaches theory of the particular area of study
- may choreograph dances for special concerts and prepare students for competitions
- may instruct other teachers of dance in methods of instructing pupils and in theories of learning, and the development of dance programs