4316-13 Communications Linesperson
Installs, maintains and repairs external telecommunication equipment, including aerial lines, conduits and underground cables, radio antennae and limited items of terminal equipment.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- examines drawings, specifications and work areas to determine positioning and connections for equipment to be installed
- attaches outgoing and incoming cables to appliances being installed
- locates faults and tests external plant equipment using instruments such as transmission measuring equipment, ohmmeters, voltmeters and ammeters
- adjusts, replaces and repairs faulty items at telephone installation centres or fault control centres
- replaces telephones, fax machines, answering machines and other telephone equipment in homes or small offices
- erects, tests and maintains aerial wires, cables and radio antennae
- installs underground cables for telephone and other communications transmissions
- joins cables and seals sheaths with lead or thermoplastic
- distributes cable pairs from exchanges or pillars
- runs telephone cables underground
- may install lead-ins, internal wiring and equipment at customers' premises