UNIT GROUP 9915 RAILWAY LABOURERS
RAILWAY LABOURERS lay and repair tracks for railways, tramways, transfer yards, quarries and mines.
The entry requirement for this unit group is completion of compulsory secondary education or higher qualification.
- placing sleepers across roadbeds, positioning and fastening rails on sleepers
- cutting rails to length and grinding worn or rough rail ends
- drilling bolt holes and bolting and welding rail sections
- spreading and tamping ballast to provide firm foundation for sleepers
- removing and replacing worn or damaged rails, sleepers and switches