UNIT GROUP 2312 SPECIALIST MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS
SPECIALIST MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS diagnose and treat physical and mental diseases and disorders using specialist testing, diagnostic, medical and surgical techniques. Medical Registrars who are training as Specialist Medical Practitioners are included in this unit group.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training.
- diagnosing diseases and disorders by examining patients referred from other medical practitioners, using the results of laboratory and other tests
- taking blood and tissue samples, examining tissue, performing microscopic examination of bacterial cultures, using X-ray and other such imaging methods for diagnostic purposes
- prescribing and administering medication
- administering anaesthetic and monitoring patients throughout surgical procedures and post-operative periods
- operating on patients using specialised surgical procedures
- treating diseases and disorders of the skin
- treating organic or congenital diseases and disorders of the eye
- treating medical and developmental diseases and disorders in children and adolescents
- providing obstetric and gynaecological care
- consulting with patients to assess the nature of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders
- examining internal structure and organs using radiological techniques
- maintaining close liaison with other personnel caring for the patient