4519-13 Buttermaker or Cheesemaker
Controls the processes and equipment to produce butter or cheese.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- sterilises equipment
- starts flow of cream to churns or continuous buttermakers
- observes separation of buttermilk from butter and pumps buttermilk from churns
- tests butter for moisture, salt content and consistency
- removes butter from churns, tests and grades, and loads it into moulding and packaging machine hoppers
- adds measured amounts of bacterial culture to milk
- adds and stirs rennet into mixtures
- starts agitators and mixes ingredients
- observes thermometers, adjusts steam valves and starts agitators to stir and cook curds
- separates curds and releases whey
- samples cheese after manufacture and during maturation for taste, smell and texture to determine grade