To be eligible to apply for the Australian Statistician’s Fellowship Program, applicants must satisfy the following requirements:
- Applicants must be Australian citizens or will be an Australian citizen when the program commences in February, 2014.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of their citizenship by presenting an Australian Passport, Australian Birth Certificate or an Australian Citizenship Certificate when requested.
Health and Character Clearance
- Applicants must have received an Australian recognised graduate or post-graduate qualification within the last three years, with a minimum credit average (a distinction average is desirable)
- *If the applicant’s tertiary qualification/s were obtained overseas, applicants must provide a certificate of equivalence from the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR) stating that their qualification is equivalent to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree from a recognised Australian educational institution. Visit the NOOSR website for further information.
Program Prerequisites and Requirements
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate that they are of good character by completing a criminal history check. A police clearance will be required for new employees.
- Successful applicants will also be required to demonstrate that they are medically fit to undertake the duties of the job.
Applicants will have:
- Academic excellence (either an Australian recognised graduate or post-graduate qualification within the last three years, with a minimum credit average; a distinction average is desirable)
- Work experience with excellent performance (this includes part-time or volunteer work)
- Demonstrated Statistical Literacy skills, including:
- Data awareness;
- Understanding statistical concepts;
- Analysis, interpretation and evaluation of statistical information; and
- Communication of statistical information and understanding.
- Leadership attributes, as demonstrated through work experience and/or extra-curricular activity
Successful applicants will be required to:
- Relocate to Canberra (if applicable; assistance provided)
- Undertake corporate placements in a variety of subject matter areas (which may be different to their area of expertise)
- Have the ability and willingness to travel and/or temporarily relocate (interstate or overseas) for a period of up to six months during Year 2 of the Australian Statistician's Fellowship Program
- Agree to remain with the ABS for a minimum of 12 months after the official conclusion of the Australian Statistician's Fellowship Program
The Australian Statistician’s Fellowship Program has scheduled breaks at the following times:
- Late December 2014 – January 2015
- June 2015
- Late December 2015 – January 2016
Participants will be generally encouraged to take leave during these times. However, this will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and take into consideration the work and personal commitments of each participant.
Please note, these times may change prior to the official commencement of the Australian Statistician's Fellowship Program and/or during the Australian Statistician's Fellowship Program. These changes will be communicated to successful participants accordingly.
This page last updated 24 May 2013