INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF STATISTICS 2013
|We have been providing Australians with the high quality statistics necessary for informed decision making for over 100 years. Throughout 2013 we were a proud supporter of the International Year of Statistics (IYOS) which celebrated the important role statistics play in building a better nation for all Australians, and people in different countries all over the world.|
During the International Year of Statistics more than 2,250 organisations including universities, research institutes, high schools, professional societies, government agencies and businesses in over 100 countries have joined to celebrate and promote the importance of statistics to businesses, governments, the media, policy makers, employers, academia, students and the community.
The ABS, through the National Statistical Service (NSS), coordinated a number of events in 2013 to support the International Year of Statistics, including:
- the NatStats 2013 Conference - this brought together Australia’s statistical community around the theme of ‘A better informed Australia: The role of statistics in building the nation’. A communiqué highlighting the major themes, presentations and discussions from the conference is available on the NatStats website.
- release of the 2013 List of Essential Statistical Assets for Australia (ABS cat. no. 1395.0)
- National Statistical Service Seminar Series
- launch of Measures of Australia's Progress
- updates to the Understanding Statistics Statistical Literacy web pages
- coordinating and sponsoring the national phase of the International Statistical Literacy Project Poster Competition
- provision of CensusAtSchool resources for inclusion on the Teachers Resources page of the International Year of Statistics website and
- ABS staff Statistical Debate on Data scientists are the new rock stars, and morning tea celebrations.
For any further information on any of the above ABS initiatives celebrating the IYOS 2013 please contact: email@example.com