- To provide a forum for discussion and open communication on statistical and related matters as they affect Australian Public Service (APS) Agencies.
- To identify and discuss a range of issues which are relevant to the effective conduct of statistical operations within APS Agencies.
- To encourage 'whole of government' solutions by:
- promoting consistency in statistical standards across APS Agencies;
- encouraging agencies to make the best use of available statistical resources, and
- identifying, developing and promoting 'best practice' initiatives in statistical fields.
Objectives for the next 12 Months
- Continue to review and promote membership to ensure, inter alia, that the Network is broadly representative of statistical and related units in the APS.
- Continue to share information on a range of statistical issues, including technology, 'best practice' and staffing, and where possible to take up new opportunities to share data.
- Ongoing review of the marketing of statistics and consultancy services.
- Continue to monitor the development of appropriate new technologies.
- Explore career rotation and development opportunities in statistical and related sections.
- The Network promote its activities and ascertain interest and membership from among statistical and related sections of APS Agencies.
- Meetings to occur quarterly.
- Membership is encouraged at senior officer level.
- Participating agencies to rotate network responsibilities to provide a fresh perspective.
- The Network Planning Committee will co-ordinate meeting agendas.
- ABS will provide a co-ordination function to the Stats Network
This page first published 26 July 2002, last updated 5 November 2004