Most of the information provided on The Census Guide also resides on the ABS web site and can be accessed through the Census Main Page. This information is updated on the ABS web site as soon as information comes to hand. To provide access for users who do not have access to the Internet, a snapshot of this information is contained on The Guide's CD-ROM. Hyperlinks to the ABS web site are kept minimal.
|The Census Guide provides you with a range of useful 2001 Census reference material and product information, including demonstrations, (e.g. CDATA 2001 demonstration), and access to the Census Tabulation Specification Service (CTSS) software.|
The Census Guide makes it easy for you to find the information you need and is an essential reference tool in promoting a greater understanding and more informed use of census data.
The Census Guide utilises WebRom Technology and is displayed using your web browser software. You can navigate and search the CD-ROM exactly as you would a normal web site.
There will be three CD-ROM releases. More information, including product demonstrations, and more free data will be added with each issue. The current release (June 2002) corresponds with the first of the two-phase release of 2001 Census data.
|Release 1 - September 2001 |
This issue contains 2001 Census:
and 1996 Census:
- free data, including Community Profiles at Australia level and National Census Characteristics Publication extracts (2015.0, 2016.0, 2017.0). No 2001 Census data was available.
This early release enabled clients to understand and identify the potential of 2001 Census data and the range of products and services that will be available.
|Release 2 - June 2002|
|This issue corresponds with the launch of 1st release 2001 Census products and services.|
It contains 2001 Census:
- reference material, including Statistical Geography: Volume 1 Australian Standard Geographic Classification (ASGC) and more Fact Sheets;
- product and service demonstrations, including CDATA 2001 (2019.0-8), CLIB 2001 (2024.0), Digital Boundaries (2923.0); and
- free data, including Basic Community Profiles (R1, 2001.0) and Census Snapshots (R1) at Australia, State/Territory, Capital City Statistical Division levels, and Indigenous Profiles (R1, 2002.0) at Australia and State/Territory levels, and National Census Characteristics Publication (2015.0) extracts.
|Release 3 - Mid 2003 (indicative release)|
|This final issue will come out after the release of the majority of 2nd release 2001 Census products and services.|
It will include all the release 2 CD-ROM content plus more:
- reference material, including Statistical Geography: Volume 2 Census Geographic Areas and Volume 3: ASGC Urban Centres/Localities, Information Papers for example on data quality, and more Fact Sheets;
- product and service demonstrations, including SEIFA 2001 (2033.0-8), CDATA 2001 (R2, 2019.0-8) and samples of the Social Atlases (2030.1-8); and
- free data, including Basic Community Profiles (R2, 2001.0), Indigenous Profiles (R2, 2002.0), Census Snapshots at Australia, State/Territory, Capital City levels, other Profiles at Australia level and Census Characteristics Publications (2015.1-8, 2016.0-8, 2017.0-8) extracts.
Minimum System Requirements
The following is the minimum specification required for The Census Guide though if you have a higher specification then you will get improved performance;
Windows '95, Windows '98 or Windows NT 4.x
P100 or compatible microprocessor
800x600 Video Display
8 Speed CD ROM Drive
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or above
Netscape Navigator 4.05 or above
This page first published 7 April 2004, last updated 18 October 2012