Education Services home page > CensusAtSchool home page > Year 10 Resources
CaSQ 35B - Creating Parallel Box and Whisker Plots of Foot Length in Excel
You can download this activity as a rich text file (RTF) using the link at the bottom of the page.
The following summary statistics of foot lengths have been calculated from the CaS data in CaSQ 35A.
The statistics are used in the female and male tables below.
1. Enter the following data including empty cells into an Excel spreadsheet.
2. Select the female data (numbers only) then select: Insert > scatterplot > scatter with straight lines.
3. Select: Layout > Axes >Primary Horizontal Axes > More Primary Horizontal Axis Options, and choose an appropriate scale for your plot.
4. Use the female table as a guide to enter the males summary statistics into the x column in the grid for males.
5. Leave a line then copy and paste the male data below the female data you have already entered.
6. Repeat Tasks 2 & 3 after selecting both female and male data.
7. What do we call this kind of plot? Where do you think it gets its name?
8. Explain how you would create a third plot above the male plot?
Extension: Activity CaSQ 35C is an extension to this lesson.
|Download the full activity: ||