IN THIS ISSUE
Gender Indicators, Australia is a resource for social analysis and research in gender equality. The publication currently contains 55 key indicators and a further 95 related or detailed data series, spread across six domains of interest:
- Economic Security
- Work and Family Balance
- Safety and Justice
- Democracy, Governance and Citizenship
Time series data for each of these indicators is presented in a set of data cubes (excel spreadsheets) available from the Downloads tab of the publication. Brief insights which capture key stories of interest per domain are included under each domain heading, with a selected highlights page that gathers together some key insights from all domains.
This issue includes the following updates to time series data:
- 21 tables in the Economic Security domain have been updated with the latest available data relating to labour force, employment conditions, underutilised labour and people not in the labour force. The majority of these data have been averaged for the year July 2016 to June 2017 from the monthly Labour Force Survey. There are also 24 tables in this domain which have either been updated to include estimates as well as proportions, or have had the age ranges in the time series expanded.
- The Education domain has had 19 tables updated with 2016 data, with the majority of the data coming from the Survey of Education and Work. The updated indicators relate to the attainment of Year 12 formal qualifications at Certificate II or above, non-school qualifications, and participation and retention rates. There are 15 Education tables which have been updated since the last publication to include estimates as well as proportions.
- The Health domain has had 11 tables updated with the latest available data, including incident rates of cancer by age group, which have been obtained from the Australian Cancer Incidence and Mortality Workbooks (All cancers combined), 2015. Leading causes of death and death rates time series data have also been revised from Causes of Death, Australia, 2015 (cat. no. 3303.0). There are 17 tables which have been updated since the last publication to include estimates as well as proportions.
- The Work and Family Balance domain has had two new tables added: Parental leave (Table 10.3), reporting data for 2015-16 sourced from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA), and Life satisfaction (Table 10.9), sourced from the 2014 General Social Survey (cat. no. 4159.0).
- The Safety and Justice domain has had 10 tables updated with the latest available data for the indicators on experiences of crime in 2015-16 from the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social Survey and the Crime Victimisation Survey. Recorded crime data for selected offences in 2016, and 2015-16 offender rates have also been updated from administrative data sources.
- All tables in the Democracy, Governance and Citizenship domain have been updated with the latest available data, including data on Justices and Judges (Table 13.7), and nominations and recipients of the Order of Australia awards for 2017 (Tables 13.8-13.10). A new table (13.11) has been created for participation in civic, community or social groups, sourced from the 2014 General Social Survey (cat. no. 4159.0).
Time series data are presented for a maximum of 11 time points for ease of navigation. Earlier time series data is available in previous releases.