NAME OF ORGANISATION
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
This is the second innovation survey conducted by the ABS. The objectives are to provide statistics on the level of innovation in Australian manufacturing and some of the characteristics of innovators, the impact of innovation, the national innovation system and the characteristics of significant innovations.
All management units on the Business Register included in a manufacturing ANZSIC, subdivisions 21-29. 5,800 management units were sampled
The conceptual framework is contained in OECDs Oslo manual-Proposed Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Technological Innovation Data, 1997
Manufacturing management units: rate of innovation, by industry and employment; objectives of innovation, source of ideas for innovation, Barriers to starting innovations, effect of innovation activity, expenditure on innovative activity, most significanr innovation, use of advanced technologies.
Size (based on employment) :- 1: 0-4, 2: 5-19, 3: 20-99, 4: 100-499, 5: 500+, 8: LBs
Employment groups (0-9, 10-49, 50-99, 100-499, 500 or more)
Total sales groups (< $50,000, $50,000-$199,000, $200,000-$999,000, $1m-$10m, >$10m)
Age (<2 yrs, 2-5 yrs, 6-9 yrs, 10-19 yrs, 20-29 yrs, 30 or more)
Other concepts (summary)
A technological innovation is any new or substantially improved good or service which has been commercialised, or any new or substantially improved process used for the production of goods and services.
Non-technological innovations include changes to the business' strategies, structures or routines.
1. National & State/Territory\1.01 Australia
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.01 New South Wales
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.02 Victoria
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.03 Queensland
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.04 South Australia
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.05 Western Australia
Comments and/or Other Regions
This survey is conducted on an irregular basis. The first survey was conducted in respect or 1993/94 and this second survey in respect of 1996/97. There are no current plans for any future surveys.
First collection 1993/94
This second collection 1996/97
Data availability comments
DATE OF LAST UPDATE FOR THIS DOCUMENT
31/05/2002 03:14 PM