Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
The survey was funded by the Inbound Tourism Organisation of Australia (ITOA). The survey was conducted annually from the 1992-93 financial year to the 1995-96 financial year. Businesses identified as Inbound Tour Operators by ITOA are the poulation for the survey. The survey provides measures of business performance at a broad state level.
Results from the survey are used to provide governments and industry with broad information on the activities of the inbound tourism industry.
All Australian businesses selling inbound tour packages overseas are in scope for the survey. A comprehensive list of these businesses is provided to the ABS by the Inbound Tourism Organisation of Australia.
The population for the survey is a comprehensive listing of inbound tour operators provided to the ABS by the Inbound Tourism Organisation of Australia.
The framework for Tourism statistics is available via the Tourism Theme Page on the ABS website (www.abs.gov.au).
The main outputs from this survey are:
- number of inbound tour operating businesses;
- number of passengers;
- gross invoices by country of origin;
- number of employees;
- language skill of employees; and
- anticipated levels of employment.
Other concepts (summary)
1. National & State/Territory\1.01 Australia
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.01 New South Wales
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.02 Victoria
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.03 Queensland
1. National & State/Territory\1.03 Selected States or Territories only\1.03.05 Western Australia
Comments and/or Other Regions
Plus other States/Territories combined.
This survey was conducted in respect of 1994-95 and 1995-96. The 1995-96 cycle was the final cycle.
Conducted annually between 1992-93 and 1995-96. Overseas tourism marketing expenditure questions were included in 1992-93 and 1994-95.
Data availability comments
Data is available for 1994-95 and 1995-96 in the publication Inbound Tour Operators, Australia (ABS Cat No. 8690.0). The final issue of this publication was the 1995-96 issue.
DATE OF LAST UPDATE FOR THIS DOCUMENT
10/05/2002 09:32 AM
This page last updated 11 September 2008