NAME OF COLLECTION
Balance of Payments
Balance of Payments Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
PO Box 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra 02 6252 5336
Overseas clients please call 61 2 9268 4909.
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6252 7219
To provide a systematic record of Australia's transactions with the rest of the world, including international transactions in transportation and travel services.
The collection provides estimates of Australia's balance of payments, including significant detail for its constituent transactions.
The ABS conducts a number of surveys of businesses, individuals and organisations with international transactions and uses a variety of administrative by-product records in the compilation of the balance of payments.
The ABS and other collections that are used in estimating the transport-related components of the balance of payments include:
- Survey of International Trade in Services (SITS) which collects quarterly data on trade in a wide range of services including transportation and travel;
- The International Visitor Survey, conducted by the Bureau of Tourism Research, which measures expenditure in Australia by international visitors;
- Overseas Arrivals and Departures, an ABS collection, sourced from data collected by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, which measures the number of Australian and non-resident persons entering and leaving Australia;
- The Survey of Returned Australian Travellers which is used to benchmark estimates from SITS;
- The Survey of Inbound Tour Operators which is used as a benchmark and measures the landed component in Australia of pre-paid package tours by non-resident travellers; and
- Overseas Student Statistics, published by the Department of Education, Training and Youth Affairs.
Data are available on current account credits and debits for transportation and travel services.
Transportation services is further classified into passenger, freight and other. Travel services includes a breakdown for business and personal travel, with personal further classified into education-related and other. Data are available by trading partner country and by Australian State or Territory of production/consumption.
Frequency of Data Availability
Summary current price original estimates are published monthly. Quarterly estimates are more detailed and include volume and price estimates in original, seasonally adjusted and trend terms. Annual data (both on a fiscal year and calendar year basis) are available by country and State.
Data are available from September quarter 1959.
Products and Services
International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia (cat. no. 5368.0)
- Balance of payments summary;
- Current account (original, seasonally adjusted and trend estimates);
- Capital account;
- Financial account; and
- Exchange rates.
Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0)
Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5363.0)
Balance of Payments, Australia: Concepts, Sources and Methods (cat. no. 5331.0)
Balance of Payments, Australia: Summary of Concepts, Sources and Methods (cat. no.5351.0)
Information Paper: Quality of Balance of Payments, Australia (cat. no. 5342.0)
A Guide to Australian Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Statistics (cat. no. 5362.0)
Dial-a-statistic 1900 986 400
AusStats (1300 135 070)