Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
5518.0.55.001 - Government Finance Statistics, Education, Australia, 2009-10 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 12/04/2011   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

MAIN FEATURES

This release contains statistics on expenditure on education by the general government sector for the period 2000-01 to 2009-10. These data are presented on an accrual accounting basis and are taken from the system of Government Finance Statistics (GFS).

Government expenditure on education refers to expenditure on all levels of education, such as pre-school, primary, secondary, university, and technical and further education (TAFE), by the general government sector. It excludes expenditure on courses provided by non-educational institutions, such as the vocational training programs of private businesses.

The summary tables below present government operating expenses on education by level of government, by purpose (i.e. by type of education), and by economic transaction (i.e. by type of expenditure) for the period 2004-05 to 2009-10.

Expenditure on education by all levels of general government increased by $9,095m (14.6%), from $62,366m in 2008-09 to $71,461m in 2009-10. Total expenditure on education by the Commonwealth Government reached $35,709, with expenditure by the state and local governments totalling $49,106m. Intra-sector transfers were $31,870m.

Of the total operating expenditure on education in 2009-10, $39,099m was spent on primary and secondary education and $24,201m on tertiary education (universities and TAFEs). Employee expenses of $35,022m accounted for 49% of total educational expenses with the remaining 51% being on non-employee expenses ($15,649m), depreciation ($2,655m), and transfer expenses ($18,136m).


GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY LEVEL OF GOVERNMENT
2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Commonwealth Government
14 319
15 813
16 416
18 694
21 905
35 709
State and Local Governments
33 581
35 540
37 382
39 595
43 320
49 106
Multi-jurisdictional (a)
12 606
13 584
14 209
15 603
17 749
18 516
Less: Intra-sector transfers
13 791
15 288
16 040
18 372
20 608
31 870
All Levels of Government
46 714
49 648
51 966
55 521
62 366
71 461

(a) The multi-jurisdictional sector contains units where jurisdiction is shared between two or more governments, or the classification of a unit to a jurisdiction is otherwise unclear. For education the only type of units falling into this category are public universities.

GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY PURPOSE, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Primary and secondary education
25 843
27 594
29 078
30 496
33 104
39 099
Tertiary education
17 016
18 156
18 788
20 561
23 024
24 201
Pre-school & education not definable by level
2 038
2 128
2 287
2 439
2 983
3 089
Transportation of students
1 058
1 122
1 106
1 261
1 326
1 352
Education n.e.c.
759
647
708
763
1 930
3 719
Total
46 714
49 648
51 966
55 521
62 366
71 461





GOVERNMENT OPERATING EXPENSES ON EDUCATION, BY ECONOMIC TRANSACTION, ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT

2004-05
2005-06
2006-07
2007-08
2008-09
2009-10
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Employee expenses
25 484
27 180
28 257
30 172
32 934
35 022
Non-employee expenses
10 862
11 352
12 190
13 147
14 736
15 649
Depreciation of fixed assets
1 974
2 002
2 097
2 262
2 440
2 655
Current transfer expenses
8 108
8 764
9 146
9 612
11 738
15 740
Capital transfer expenses
287
350
276
328
518
2 396
Total
46 714
49 648
51 966
55 521
62 366
71 461



For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070, email <client.services@abs.gov.au> or Larissa Fischer on Canberra (02) 6252 5392, email <public.finance@abs.gov.au>.

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.