Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
4172.0 - Arts and Culture in Australia: A Statistical Overview, 2008 (Second Edition)  
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 22/10/2008   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Museums >> FINANCIAL DATA

FINANCIAL DATA

The 2003-04 ABS Survey of Museums found that the total income in the 2003-04 financial year for the 1,329 museums establishments in Australia was $919.4m. About two-thirds (68%) of this income was provided by government, with the bulk of the balance made up by fundraising ($89.0m) and admissions ($55.9m).

Wages and salaries accounted for $320.4m of museum expenses in 2003-04, which was two fifths (40%) of total outgoings. Other expenses ($489.9m) made up the remaining 60% of museum costs.

8.5 MUSEUM ESTABLISHMENTS, Income and expenses - 2003-04

OTHER MUSEUMS
Art galleries
Social history museums
Historic properties/sites
Natural, science and other museums
Total
$m
$m
$m
$m
$m

Income
Government funding
200.4
193.0
47.9
186.7
628.0
Admissions income
8.8
20.2
18.1
8.9
55.9
Fund raising
62.0
12.5
6.8
7.7
89.0
Other income
53.7
33.7
24.6
34.3
146.5
Total income
324.9
259.4
97.5
237.6
919.4
Expenses
Wages and salaries
99.1
91.5
39.6
90.1
320.4
Other expenses
166.4
138.3
41.0
144.2
489.9
Total expenses
265.5
229.7
80.6
234.4
810.3

Source: ABS, Museums, Australia, 2003-04 (cat. no. 8560.0).


A more recent data collection which focuses solely on government funding for cultural activities, found that the Australian Government provided $47.2m to Art galleries and a further $209.5m to Other museums in 2006-07. State and territory governments contributed a total of $498.2m to Art galleries and Other museums. While local governments also provide considerable cultural funding, there is no recent data available on the specific amounts committed to museums.

It should be noted that the government funding collection adopted a broader definition of art galleries and other museums, therefore its data are not directly comparable to those obtained from the Survey of Museums.

8.6 CULTURAL FUNDING BY GOVERNMENT, Museums - 2006-07

Australian Government
State and Territory Governments
Total
$m
$m
$m

Art galleries
47.2
187.4
234.6
Other museums
209.5
310.7
520.2
Total
256.6
498.2
754.8

Source: ABS, Cultural Funding by Government, Australia, 2006-07 (cat. no. 4183.0).






Previous PageNext Page


Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.