Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate the ABS website
ABS Home > Statistics > By Release Date
3302.0 - Deaths, Australia, 2009 Quality Declaration 
Previous ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 10/11/2010   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Summary of Findings >> Year of occurrence

YEAR OF OCCURRENCE

The majority of this publication contains deaths data based on year of registration. Although most deaths are registered in the year in which they occur, some deaths are not registered until the following year or later.

Deaths data presented by year of occurrence in this publication are therefore considered preliminary and are subject to change as deaths that occurred up to, and including, 31 December 2009, but have not yet been registered by this date, are registered in subsequent years.


Deaths registered in the same year as they occurred

The likelihood of a death being registered in a year following its occurrence is substantially greater for deaths which occur near the end of the calendar year. Of the 140,800 deaths registered in 2009, 94.8% (133,400 deaths) occurred in 2009 and the remainder (5.2%, or 7,400 deaths) occurred in 2008 or earlier years (the majority of which occurred in December 2008). See paragraphs 26 and 27 of the Explanatory Notes.


Monthly occurrence of deaths

Deaths tend to occur more often in some months than others. Over the period 2006-2008, an average of 138,800 deaths occurred each year in Australia. The largest numbers of deaths, on average, occurred in the winter months of August (6,700 male deaths and 6,600 female deaths) and July (6,700 male deaths and 6,500 female deaths). In comparison, the smallest numbers of deaths on average (5,100 male deaths and 4,700 female deaths) occurred in the summer month of February (noting that February is the shortest month).

2.13 Deaths, Month of death - 2006-2008: Preliminary(a)
Graph: 2.13 DEATHS, Month of death—2006–2008: Preliminary(a)










Previous PageNext Page

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window


Commonwealth of Australia 2014

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.